Removing Desktop Search from the Windows Taskbar
Because you know you want to…if you have that stupid search tool (red arrow, below) taking up precious taskbar space, here’s how to remove it:
- In the picture above, do you see the small picture of a magnifying glass in the light blue section to the right of the taskbar? (blue arrow) Right-mouse-click it.
- In the pop-up menu that appears, place your mouse-pointer over the option Help
- Another small pop-up will appear, offering you three options. Left-mouse-click the last one, Hide Windows Deskbar.
Your Taskbar search tool will now have vanished.
To return to using the old Windows XP search engine,
- From the desktop Start button, open the …Settings…Control Panel
- Open the Desktop Search Settings control panel (by double-left-mouse clicking)
- In the opened control panel, check the Use Search Companion insteqd of Desktop Search checkbox.
- Left-mouse-click the OK button.
Now searches will be performed using the older search application.